How to Get a Job in Canada as a Paramedic – The job of a paramedic is very crucial in every society as they are the first set of people that respond to emergencies and accidents. They offer first aid treatments to accident victims before further treatment is being administered to the victims and for this; this occupation is in demand in Canada.
A paramedic is a highly skilled and trained medical professional who is charged with the responsibility of providing advanced emergency medical care for critical and serious cases like accidents.
If you are a paramedic or you are aspiring to become one, Canada is more like the best place for you as there are a lot of job positions for you to fill up especially as the job is among the list of jobs that are in demand in the country. Also, as a paramedic in Canada, you get to enjoy the wonderful benefits that healthcare workers in the country enjoy.
In addition to all we have been saying, immigrating to Canada as a paramedic is also easy as there are over 100 immigration programs in Canada through which you can move to Canada and since the occupation is in demand in the country, you wouldn’t have a problem immigrating to the country.
So in this article, we are going to show you some of the best immigration programs through which you can immigrate to Canada and you have to make sure you follow this article closely so you can which immigration program you qualify for so as to have a stress-free immigration process.
Let’s get into the article:
How Can You Apply For A Job In Canada As A Paramedic?
Finding a job in Canada is very easy as Canada is looking to invite over 1.2 million foreign nationals to the country to come fill up labour shortages in the country and since paramedics are needed in the country to respond to cases of accidents, you won’t have much issue landing a job in Canada.
You will have to check the National Occupation Classification (NOC) as this is a system that categorizes jobs based on the job duties, skill level and type of work.
As a paramedic job in Canada has a NOC code 3234 and is under the skill level B. it is very important that you know this if you want to immigrate to Canada.
Some of the requirements that you must meet to work as a paramedic in Canada are:
- You must complete a three-year college, hospital-based, paramedical or emergency medical technology program
- You must be licensed by a regulatory body to operate as a paramedic
- You must meet the language benchmark and show language proficiency.
The Top Immigration Programs To Immigrate To Canada As A Paramedic
The Express Entry System
This is a federal immigration program and it is the most popular immigration program. The program has been ongoing since 2015 and it has been the major source of immigrants to Canada; this is because it is easy to apply through and also faster to process as it takes as short as six months to process.
The Express Entry System is an online program where you will have to create an online profile and fill in some information based on some factors like age, work experience, education, language proficiency etc.
If you are a paramedic and you don’t know how to apply for a job in Canada before coming, you can go through this program as you don’t need a job offer to be eligible for the program. You just have to meet the other requirements we highlighted (age, work experience, education, language proficiency etc.).
You will be expected to complete your profile within 60 days and after this, you will be placed in a pool with some other applicants and a draw will be conducted. In this draw, applicants will be given a score according to the information they filled in their profile and this score will be matched against a cut-off score in a ranking system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
Applicants that meet or exceed the CRS cut-off score will be selected to receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residency in Canada.
You can also apply again if you are not successful in your first application as the Express Entry Draws are done every two weeks and for you to increase your chances of being selected in the next draw, you will have to improve your CRS score and you can do this by getting a job offer as a paramedic or having a spouse.
There are three federal immigration streams which are managed under this program and they are:
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Canadian Experience Class
As a paramedic, you can apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program as this stream is for highly skilled workers that want to immigrate to Canada through the Express Entry System.
You will have to meet some of requirements for the program and they are:
- You must have an education certificate of high school diploma or degree from secondary school or post-secondary school in Canada and if you have a foreign certificate, it must be equivalent to the Canadian standard and you can go through the Education Credential Assessment (ECA) to check the credentials.
- You must have completed a three-year college program, paramedical or emergency medical program
- You must have a paid skilled work experience of at least one year in skill level B of (30 hours/ wee) for full-time and for part-time it could be (15 hours/week).
- You must prove that you have sufficient funds to help you settle in Canada and also take care of any other family member coming with you unless you have a valid job offer
- You must take the approved language test in English or French in writing, speaking, listening or reading and you must get a minimum score of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all abilities.
The Provincial Nomination Program
This program is created to help the provinces or territories in Canada nominate foreign workers to fill up labour shortages in the province. The program is carried out by the Provincial government in partnership with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to bring foreign skilled workers to the provinces.
There are about 11 participating provinces that have their own Provincial Nomination Program and the programs are tailored to meet the economic needs and requirements of the provinces.
You can get nominated to get permanent residency in Canada as long as you are ready to contribute your own quota to the growth and development of the province and so a nomination from a province in Canada will give you 600 points which will boost your score from the Express Entry System and this will surely increase our chances of getting an Invitation to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
So after choosing the province or territory you want to live and work in, you will have to check if you meet the requirements for getting a job as a paramedic in the province.
Job Opportunities For Paramedics In Canada
Like we have said in our introduction that there are a lot of job opportunities in Canada and so as a paramedic, there are various job positions for you to fill in Canada and we are going to be looking at some of these jobs.
- Advanced or critical care paramedic
- Advanced emergency medical assistant
- Advanced life support attendant, coordinator, or paramedic
- Ambulance attendant, attendant trainee, attendants supervisor, driver, driver-attendant, services field supervisor, or technician
- Advanced life support attendant, support coordinator, or support paramedic
- Assistant paramedic
- Critical care paramedic
- Drilling rig medical technician, medical warden, and medical worker
- Emergency medical assistant, medical attendant (EMA), medical technologist, and paramedic
- Medical technician or assistant
- Paramedic emergency medical technician, or worker
Immigrating to Canada as a paramedic is not the issue; the thing is if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada. Like we mentioned that there are about 100 immigration programs in Canada and we have talked about the top two immigration programs that are easy to go through as a paramedic so the next step is in your hands.
You can decide to do the application yourself or employ the services of a reliable and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant as they know every detail about Canadian immigration and can put you through everything you need to know and do to successfully immigrate to Canada as a paramedic.